Sort & Recycle


Bulky waste

Broken furniture, tools without cords or batteries, scrap metal (such as frying pans) or other cumbersome items are called bulky waste.

Municipal recycling centres accept bulky waste. If you are unable to take it there yourself, you can have it collected by the municipality for a fee. 

Much of the bulky waste can be sorted into e.g. wood waste, scrap metal, etc. for recycling. Second-hand shops and charities often accept used items if they still have some useful life left.

Never leave bulky waste at recycling stations for packaging and newspapers. Such items do not belong there, and a lot of money is spent every year to clear these items away.

Responsibility of property owners

The municipality can stipulate in its waste regulations that property owners must sort bulky waste and keep it separate from other waste. Property owners include owners of individual properties and owners of apartment blocks.

It is up to the property owner and the property occupier to decide how the sorting requirement will be met, on or near the property (special space in the building, subscription to collection at certain intervals, green building on the property, or jointly with another property, etc.). The municipality cannot impose requirements on how the sorting requirement is to be met.

As the waste regulations are mandatory, a property owner cannot contract out of the obligation to provide bulky waste sorting through the lease.

Property owners are allowed to take bulky waste to the municipal recycling centre themselves. This does not conflict with the municipality’s exclusive right to transport municipal waste when this possibility is regulated in the municipality's waste regulations.

Last updated: 2023-08-08